Crossing the color barrier...

Okay all you people who have been impatient.... here is your blog :) :)

The last few days have been good! I got sick to my stomach on Friday, and had to leave
the centre early. It did not make me happy, but I needed to rest. And now I have a cold!
Pastor Wambua has said "Bless You" to my sneezes more times than I can count. Satan is
going to do anything he can to keep me from loving on people, but I refuse to give in!

So, I was trying to decide what I wanted this post to be about. I could tell you every little
detail of what's going on, but instead I want to tell you what's on my mind. I am pretty sure
by now you have all figured out that I love this place. It is actually fun to wake up each
morning for a new day. I enjoy going to work because I get to work for my Lord and Savior
doing something I can't get enough of- teach kids who want to be hugged and loved on and
you know I can do that!!

Something that has really been on my mind for the last week is just how much I want to
overcome the barriers of this white/black thing. You know, every day I walk to school and
what happens? I get stared at. Yes, I realize that being white is kind of odd in a predominately
black country, but why else do I get stares? I wonder what goes on in the minds of the people
staring at me. I wonder if all they see is my white skin and the money I spent to come here, or
do they see my God?
I've been pretty overwhelmed with all the kids at the centre. They bring me so much joy! I
have even learned a ton of their names! One thing that I have loved is that most of them no
longer see me as this crazy muzungu, but most of them see me as Chloe- their friend, their
hug and love for the day, and their teacher. They are starting to see "me" not just my skin.
I'm sure
you are
wondering
what the deal
is with the
pictures of
the hands,
but I just want
you to look
closely. I want
you to see
more than
just the hands.
In these pictures you see my white hand and my little girl's black hand, but is that all you see?
For me I don't look at the differences between our skin anymore. Does the difference in our skin
really make us different?Take the picture on the left for example, look at my hand with
the blue bandaids (I'm okay, just rubbed a few blisters on my hand! My skin is not quite as tough as a Kenyan's), do the blue bandaids change what my hand is? No. My hand is still a hand. So, does
the color of my skinmake a difference in what my hand is or does? NO. I'm a precious child of
God just like these Kenyan children are. We are different colors, but really we are the same.
Meet my beautiful sister Melissa! Can't you
see how much we look alike?!? This little girl
and I have soooooo much fun together.
Graceface, being with her makes me not miss
you so much :( Melissa is 10 and full of life!!
She plays with myhair everyday, she chases
little kids to tickle them with me, and she has
the best sense of humor! I love my little sister!
One thing that has meant so much to me the last few days is that Pastor Wambua has
now started introducing me as his second daughter. I am no longer a guest, but I am a
member of their family. :)I am not just a white girl to them, but their daughter. Why does
color matter, right?
This is my little girl...yes I did say that. She is my
little girl at least for a little while. Her name is Jennifer
and she is 3 years old. One day I will have one just like
her! Everyday when I getto the centre she runs to me
and gives me a huge hug! She thenholds my hand until
I have to leave her. Hint Hint... she is the hand in the
pictures above! We play together, she knows my name,
and we even tell each other "I love you." My sweet little
girl :) :) :)
I won't go into lots of details about the last few days, but Saturday Pastor, me, and Joab
went to see my brother, Jeff, at boarding school. It was about 3 hours away and in a completely
different side of Kenya. We drove through the mountains! Mama Joe and Melissa visited my
other brother, Joe, at his boarding school. After a long day of visiting we left to pick up a
group of 7 people from North Carolina at the airport. They will be here for 2 weeks along
with a missionary family from South Africa. They will be doing a lot of the same things we
did last year. Today at church one of the men preached and Bosco translated. All I could
think about was when Daryl preached at Baptist Chapel! Good times :)
Well, it's been quite a long few days. I am going to get some rest! I have a busy week! I will be
teaching at the centre Monday-Thursday. Wednesday Pastor Wambua is letting me take a
motorcycle to school! YIPPEE! Thursday afternoon I will be leaving with this group of Americans
to Mwingi (another part of Kenya) to work at some of Baptist Chapel's mission churches
until Sunday!
I hope you all have a fantastic next few days! I hope to post again maybe mid-week!
My prayer this week is that as I go from place to place here in Kenya, instead of seeing the color
of my skin people would see the glory of my God. I want them to see my Jesus.

DeeDee –   – (June 13, 2010 at 5:17 PM)  

CoCo-Mo,

Reading your blogs makes me feel like I am there with you.. Hopefully, I will be ?next year if we can talk Graham into it.. So we had better get started, Ok?

Sorry for not posting much... But don't you think for one minute we're not praying for you or thinking about you! I check the website daily-Graham and I have been super busy with work and with little Miss Mackenzie. She is growing oh so fast and has changed since you saw her last... Makes me sad :( By the way, do you think you could bring Jennifer home for me?! LOL she is sooooo PRECIOUS! I know you are making a huge impact in those "babies" lives. Hug and love on them for me. Speaking of babies, did you hear the news?!?! we have a new baby kitten, Milo. Your brother and all of those animals.. What are we ever going to do with him?!

Keep praying that they will see past the color, because after all, that's all it is- COLOR- We are ALL children of GOD regardless of what race we are. I am so proud of you Chloe!

I had considered at one point going Vegan because I can't stand the thought of eating an animal that was once alive and walking around. I had been holding on to Chicken because it's my favorite but now I think I have changed my mind, so thanks! =)

I love you and miss you terribly
Dee

Graham Snyder –   – (June 13, 2010 at 5:24 PM)  

Hey little sis,

You know I'm not much of a writer, but I just wanted to tell you how much I miss you. I wish I could be there with you. What you are doing is a wonderful thing and I cant't tell you enough of how proud I am of you. Dee, Mackenzie and I love you so much and we are all proud of you. You have made your big brother so proud and I just love you so much. Can't wait to see you when you get home. Love you litte sis. Be safe and just know that I'm thinking of you (Dee says she hopes your feeling better. She forgot to tell you that earlier)

P.S. Happy late Birthday from all of us.....

Your Bubba

Anonymous –   – (June 13, 2010 at 6:10 PM)  

I will pray specifically that they see "Jesus" and not just a white person.
Love ya & miss ya,
Cindy White

Ree –   – (June 13, 2010 at 7:02 PM)  

please be careful on the motorcycle. i need you to come back. :P k thanks.

and you are seriously the most beautiful person i have ever known, inside and out.

i'm praying for you. i love you and i miss you so so so so so so much.

my5cubs  – (June 14, 2010 at 1:25 AM)  

Hey Coco, What a great blog update and well worth waiting for! Even Kimmie will say that too when she gets a chance to read it, pray for her & VBS this week. Daryl tried to explain to Daddy about the blog problems and how long it takes, so thank you so much for your sacrifice for us here waiting to hear from you. I was sorry that we missed each other yesterday, but I figured something came up with you when you weren't online like you thought - and I also knew you'd understand I went to church! GF & I went to early church yesterday and SS and then went to Plainfield Baptist Church's 11am service and Homecoming with Annie. It was so great, they had an awesome family band, The Akins - a daddy and his 3 sons & they were amazing, played all kinds of instruments & write their own songs, very beautiful, truthful & real lyrics. Well after that, I won't tell you - you know, Homecoming food!

I'm sorry you got sick, but I'm not worried about you - know you are in God's hands and also Pastor Wambua's & Mama Joe's taking care of you, do listen to them & get your rest - I'm sure they've already gotten a taste of 'Miss I've Gotta Go & Do Everything'!

Never for one minute, don't think that you're not making a difference CoCo, God is using you, just keep listening to Him - you be His hands & feet & He will guide you. I also believe you're making a difference even here in people's lives, and I pray that all of us will be willing to let go of our unimportant stuff, risk-nothing American life and actually give up something to serve our Lord God - loving this Radical study and I'm praying with all my heart that it makes a difference in our lives (Daddy went with me & GF last nite) and in the life of our church too.

Dr. Peele gave us a new book last night by Ray Comfort 'God Has A Wonderful Plan For Your Life' The Myth of the Modern Message - you know me & books, so I'm excited about this one. From the description on the back, it sounds a lot like the Radical book. Will give you a report later!

I think of you all the time and the example you are for our Lord & Saviour Jesus Christ. Trust me CoCo, your prayer will be answered, they will see your Jesus. My prayer for you today is that you will continue to "grow & glow" in His love, grace & mercy and many, many will come to truly know the Life that our Lord God & Saviour Jesus Christ can give us if we just surrender to His Will for our lives. That is also my prayer for myself & every single member of our family. Stay strong CoCo and take care of yourself & give many hugs & love. Remember I'm not worried about you, just miss getting some of those hugs myself! Ask Melissa to give you one from me - LU4ever2m&b

Anonymous –   – (June 14, 2010 at 3:06 AM)  

Girl, every time I read one of your blogs, I end up crying . . . do not EVER doubt what you are doing or the impact you are having for our Lord and Savior. You are such an inspiration and a blessing to me and many others over here on THIS side of the world . . .

THANK YOU again for allowing us to see through your eyes!

Love Ya!

Ms. Julia

Don  – (June 14, 2010 at 7:48 AM)  

If we could all see life through your eyes we would be a much better world. It was good to read your blog today after being gone for a week at World Changers (which was great but we missed you). Had the best crew ever and our devotion time was out of this world.
Chloe people do see God in you because of your servant spirit. Just keep on keeping on. I am so proud of you. Love Daddy

Anonymous –   – (June 14, 2010 at 9:24 AM)  

Through the fog there is hope in the distance
From cathedrals to third world missions
Love will fall to the earth like a crashing wave
Tonight’s the night
For the sinners and the saints
Two worlds collide in a beautiful display
It’s all love tonight
When we step across the line
We can sail across the sea
To a city with one king
A city on our knees

This song has been my prayer for Nairobi while you're over there.

my5cubs  – (June 16, 2010 at 2:13 AM)  

Hey Coco, just thinking of you this am & wanted to write really quickly - been up since 4:15amEST - have a new bed partner this week (Abbydog) she's a cuddler that's for sure, but she doesn't understand it's TOO HOT here to cuddle! She & Snickers do not like each other yet & don't anticipate that happening before Sunday. Binxie does not like her either & she has already put Moosie in his place, although he realizes he is waaaayyy bigger & he's still trying to get her to play. She is one of the funniest little dogs I've ever seen - GF loves her, but Abby doesn't like Daddy either, she's really attached to me. Heath & Taylor scared her so badly the other day that she peed on GF - Daddy says she's a nervous dog :-)

Okiedokie, that was your laugh for the day & my report on what's been happening here for the last couple of days. Kenzie, GF, Annie & I went swimming yesterday - Kenzie loves it, she was kicking in the water and splashing with her hands, she'll be swimming before long. Annie & GF had a couple of races, Annie's the prettier swimmer, but GF beat her!

Gotta get some clothes in the dryer, will write more later today or in the morning. I pray you are having the WACKIEST, WONDERFUL, WITNESSING WEDNESDAY ever - Keep doling out many hugs & much love - LU4ever2m&b

Anonymous –   – (June 16, 2010 at 8:21 AM)  

Thank you so much for sharing your heart with us Chloe. How my heart longs with yours for unity across all racial, cultural, and social division. We must remember, though, that the sin of prejudice, just like all sin, is a theological problem, not a social one. It is only solved in Christ.

In Christ, we who were once far off are brought near to God (Eph. 2:11-13). In Christ, the barriers that separate us as people are broken down (Eph. 2:14-15). And in Christ, the two are brought together and built into one new, unified body (Eph. 2:15-22, Gal. 3:28).

It's only by the grace of God, through the spiritual transformation that has taken place in your life, that you can look past color and see everyone as a child of God. Most Kenyans will continue to see you as a muzungu until they are actually reborn into the same spiriutal family that you belong to and become your sister. So, the good news is that you help meet this desire of your heart as you flesh out the Christ life before them and boldly share the Gospel with them. May God use you to bring many into His beautiful, multi-colored family!

OK, enough preaching. World Changers was great. Your dad rocks and was surely the best crew chief there. So glad he was able to go. Drove past Lookout Mountain on the way there and back. Didn't see any hang gliders in the sky, but sure could picture us up there again!

We're gearing up for camp and all other summer activities now... it never slows down (and i love it that way!). I'm really excited about the Radical study. We have about 85 people taking part in the Sunday group and another 50 or so going through it with Jerry on Wednesdays! Please pray that this would transform our lives & our church.

I love you, girl. Tell Pastor Wambua, Mama Joe, Melissa, Joab, Bosco, Moses, Philip, and all of my other wonderful Kenyan brothers & sisters that I said hello. You are in our prayers continually! (II Cor. 4:13-16)

- Daryl

Post a Comment


  © Blogs for Babies BFB 2007

Back to TOP